The summer of 1930, the Archaeological School of Athens discovered the prehistoric city of Poliochni, which is considered to be the most ancient of Europe. It constitutes a settlement that passed from many phases of architectural and cultural development, in a period of time that lasted from 5000 B.C. till 1600 B.C., when it was devastated, obviously, by geological causes (rise in level of Aegean, etc.).
Metal objects (matrices, casts, mineral hoppers, stone hammer-hatchet) that were found there and date back to the beginning of 3rd millennium B.C., but also proofs that these weapons and tools were constructed on the spot, testify that Lemnos became very early an important metallurgical centre and played very significant role in Aegean matters. The wealth, concentrated by the process and trading of its metals and know-how, is reflected in high level architecture and urban planning of Poliochni.
On the Northeastern side of the island is the holy sanctuary of Kaviria, which is 47 km. From Myrina the sanctuary refers to Tyrrhenian season and then was used for making specially events, the famous Kaveiria Mysteries. After a tour at the Sanctuary of Kaveires visit the cave of Philoctetes located just below Kaveiria. According to mythology here the Homeric hero was carried carried by his comrades after a snake bite, hoping to be healed!
The famous sanctuary of great goddess of Lemnos was built at the archaeological site of Hephaestia, which lies northeasterly nearby Kontopouli.
In the impressive quarries of the ancient town, you may admire the landscape’s beauty with the sculptured rocks.